Generally, there are two kinds of slot players: those who love modern games with intricate visuals and animations combined with multiple advanced features, and the others who enjoy taking a trip down the memory lane while playing retro slots. The latter don’t necessarily chase classic 3-reelers exclusively, looking to relive the good old days when one-armed bandits where found only in land-based establishments. Retro feel can also be found in more complex, feature-rich video slots inspired by retro movies, comic books and what have you. Either way, Novomatic obliges.
Going Strong Since 1980
Austrian-based Novomatic has been around since 1980, starting off as a land-based casino supplier (one of the biggest ones today!). In 2011 the company took over Greentube in an attempt to replicate their success online, and the mix of theirs and the partner’s experience has proven to be a winning combination. Today they still service brick-and-mortar casinos in 70 countries around the world, but have in meantime also compiled an assortment of about 200 online slots and table games. Licensed in Gibraltar, Malta and Alderney, Novomatic is exceptionally strict when it comes to security and fair play, and you’ll find that the casinos featuring their games are some of the most trustworthy operators in the world. eCogra certificate further testifies that the developer’s products are regularly tested and deliver fully random outcomes.
Most of Novomatic slot machines are non-progressive, many include Gamble feature and generous Free Spins bonus rounds, and there’s more than a few which are bound to appeal to fans of all things retro. Take a look at some of their best 3-reel fruities and vintage-themed video slots which are guaranteed to deliver an enjoyable blast from the past.
Take a Trip Down the Memory Lane
American Gangster: Featuring vintage gangster theme, American Gangster takes you to the 1930’s and the Prohibition Era portrayed by cartoon-style visuals. As you spin the 5 reels of this 25 payline slot, assistance will be provided by Wild Gangster and Scattered Skylines which trigger Free Games feature with up to 25 free spins. All symbols except for the Scatter have the power to randomly change into 2x wild, 3x wild, 5x wild or 10x wild, meaning any of your free spins could deliver a prize boosted by x10 (providing the said wild participates in the winning combo). In a true gangster style, you can go double-or-nothing whenever you hit a win by using Gamble button.
- Chicago: This mobster-themed video slot features the familiar one-armed bandits tune played with each of the spins, and a cha-ching sound whenever you land a winning combination. Sepia visuals portray the mob king (potentially Al Capone) and his adversary (could it be Eliot Ness?), along with the newspaper boy and gangster’s moll. Chicago Skyline Wild acts as a substitute, while Scattered Mob Car launches up to 12 Free Games with the Bottle Shooting Bonus. You’ll get to fire at bottles after each winning spin and the last one standing will award a multiplier between x1 to and x10. Get 3 or more Scatters to land simultaneously once again, and you’ll benefit from additional 12 free games. As is often the case with Novomatic games, this one also gives you the option to gamble by choosing red/black card and double the prize or lose it all.
- American Diner: Are you getting nostalgic at the thought of a 1950s diners, packed with teenagers socializing over a hamburger, milkshake or a pie while listening to popular tunes delivered by a jukebox? If so, Novomatic’s American Diner is bound to appeal to your vintage tastes. Reels will get populated by cool kids resembling Danny and Sandy from the American musical Grease, typical diner food and other period symbols. Scattered Jukeboxes award 5 Free Spins to start with, and any additional ones will win you 1 or 2 extra free spins and increase the multiplier by one each time.
- Magic Circle: An old school fruity, Magic Circle is the kind of game you would have played in a casino or an arcade years ago. But it does come with an unusual feature, and that’s 2 games played over the same three reels. Choosing the base game will provide a single payline with each bet costing you 1 coin. You can improve your chances of scoring a winning combo with the Hold feature freezing 1 or 2 reels while others re-spin. One spin in the club game will cost you either 5 or 10 coins, but you’ll get 27 paylines to benefit from and an opportunity to trigger the Magic Circle feature. It will start you off on the outer circle and let you advance to the next ring each time you win. The longer you stay in the game, the higher will be the rewards, until you hit the “stop” sign.
- Jokers Casino: If you like slots which make you feel as if sitting in front of a real on-armed bandit, Jokers Casino will be right up your alley. The reel area with 3 rows and 4 reels displays classic symbols such as melons, cherries and bunch of other fruit, along with equally retro bells, sevens and BARs. The unusual aspect of the game is that it pays for matching symbols starting from reel 1 but also for sequence of identical icons beginning from reel 2. Wild Joker acts as a substitute, and blue Cretus awards Mystery Win of 20 to 200 coins.
- Lucky Lady’s Charm: Another slot fashioned in a style of a land-based machine was in fact first played on a casino floor. It comes with 5 reels, 3 rows, and plenty good luck charms landing on the reels to form winning combos across 9 paylines . Lucky Lady is your Wild card which will not only substitute but also double the prize when part of a winning combination. Scatters trigger Free Spins with all wins tripled, while Gamble feature offers you to go for double or nothing each time there is a payout pending.
- Sizzling Hot Deluxe: A classic with a twist plays with 5 reels and 5 paylines, and thanks to fruits and the gang, as well as generic sounds, has a genuine feel of a traditional slot machine. Which is what it initially was, anyway. The game has zero special features, so if you want simple, it doesn’t get much simpler than this. That’s not to say you can’t win respectable amounts! Watermelons and grapes will pay up to 100x your stake, while generous 7’s promise to deliver as much as 1,000x your bet for five-of-a-kind.